About KDU History of Kyushu Dental University

Established in 1914 as the Private Kyushu School of Dentistry, Kyushu Dental University is celebrating its 100-year anniversary in 2014. With these long years of tradition, the university ushers in the next 100 years.

1914 Private Kyushu School of Dentistry was founded in Inaba-cho, Fukuoka.
1921 The school was raised to college status.
1924 New college building was constructed in Imaizumi-cho, Fukuoka.
1936 College was moved to the new building in Manazuru-cho, Kokura.
1944 The administration was transferred to Fukuoka Prefecture with the establishment of Medical Course, and the college was renamed Fukuoka Prefectural College of Medicine and Dentistry.
1947 With the abolition of the Medical Course, the name of the college was renamed Fukuoka Prefectural College of Dentistry. Fukuoka Prefectural Senior High School under the old system of education was established.
1949 College was reorganized as Kyushu Dental College.
1950 Management of Fukuoka School of Dental Hygiene was transferred to Kyushu Dental College.
1953 Fukuoka School of Dental Hygiene was renamed Fukuoka Prefectural School of Dental Hygiene.
1964 Fukuoka Prefectural School of Dental Hygiene was renamed School of Dental Hygiene, Kyushu Dental College.
1966 Dental Graduate Course was opened.
2006 Public University Corporation was established.
University School of Dental Hygiene was designated as a prefectural technical college.
2010 School of Oral Health Sciences was established.
2011 University School of Dental Hygiene was closed.
2013 English name changed from Kyushu Dental College to Kyushu Dental University.
2014 Department of Oral Health Sciences was established in the Graduate School.

Page Top